Thursday, May 3, 2012

Stop looking at my public posts...

This term I'm taking a class on Media Ethics, one of the required classes for my major.

Every Thursday, we talk about ethical cases in media that have raised a lot of "hoopla" in the past.

One topic that we keep coming back to is the issue of privacy, and what our rights should be.

We watched this video by Clay Shirkey (a name I have used in a game of Family before), about Facebook privacy and how employers now use your profiles and posts as part of the interview process.
In this article, they say that around 40% of current employers will look at your profile, and 80% consider it in the hiring process.

What I find crazy is how people totally freak out about this. "How dare they look at my Facebook." "That's private! That's my life!"

Yes, it is your life.  But it's not private. You chose to put that info on Facebook. In fact, you chose to have a Facebook in the first place. And if you're doing things that you don't want your future or current employer to know, perhaps you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

All I have to say is this-- if you're ashamed of what's going on in your life, private, public, or in a social medium, it's your job to fix it. Don't claim your rights are being violated if you choose to involve yourself in yahoo-ish behavior in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment