Monday, April 23, 2012

I love my job

I just want to brag about my life for a moment.

Even though I grew up in Eugene, in the heart of Duck Country, words cannot express how thankful I am that I go to Oregon State.
I work at Dixon, for the Department of Recreational Sports, for the Adventure Leadership Institute (ALI). I work at a climbing center, a gear rental center, and a challenge course. If I could get paid full time to be here all time every day, I would jump on that opportunity faster than you can say flapjack (I'm also craving pancakes right now, in case you can't tell).

I'm currently sitting in "my office," which is a student work room at McAlexander Fieldhouse that no other students have bothered to use on a regular basis. The door is cracked, and I can hear 80s music from our climbing center. Keith is over there with our co-worker Winkle, and they're in the middle of teaching a Rock 1 class.

What I love most about working at for ALI is getting to do stuff that most people rarely do. I get to teach climbing techniques to fellow students. I get to go on backpacking trips and get paid. I get to hang out with some of the coolest people I've ever met, and all while taking classes.

They always say that the best thing you can do in college is get involved in something on campus. I used to think I was "above" that. That I had a well established group of friends that I didn't need to branch out. I was totally wrong, or "totes wrong" as they say on the streets.

Anyway, if you want to see more of what I do, here's some links to check out. It could just be the nice weather, but I'm really thankful for my job today.

ALI Flickr
Adventure Leadership Institute
Adventure Club
Silly video

Enjoy the weather, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Indeed! I think I have learned more from that job than I have in classes. And although I have wanted out at times, like fall when 31 people show up for each belay class, or the week before VertFest, overall I'm sad to be leaving.

    ReplyDelete